Insurance Scheme for Teachers and Performers
The Mosaic Arabic Dance Network-UK Insurance Policy is a unique and invaluable scheme for anyone who regularly teaches Arabic Dance in the UK. Briefly, the MADN’s group policy provides the teacher WHO IS A PAID UP MEMBER OF MADN with a public liability insurance with an indemnity limit of £5,000,000 subject to the insured’s contribution of £500 for each claim and a legal defence cost indemnity limit of £25,000. The policy will cover you to teach at any suitable venue and for regular classes, workshops, or a residential event. It does not cover you to teach anyone under the age of 14.
When MADN was first formed in 1993 there were only about 50 members who were mostly from the Midlands and all the members and teachers were well known to each other. Now, as the Mosaic Arabic Dance network – UK, the membership has grown significantly and comes from all over the UK and abroad. It is recognised that styles or traditions of dance from different parts of the Arab World are very varied and MADN-UK makes no attempt at a precise definition. However, it is not uncommon for someone to go to a few lessons and maybe pick up a couple of spectacular moves from a highly trained professional dancer.Then, after getting a few bookings as a dancer but with no other training in dance or teaching, the individual sets up as a teacher. Unfortunately such teachers will often have little knowledge of anatomy and exercise physiology (how the body works), and do not realise that the instructions they give to a class have potential for causing injury. MADN aims to address these issues with informed articles, training days, workshops and much more.
Insurance is about taking on known risks. This keeps the premiums low. Therefore, in order to obtain insurance under the MADN-UK Teacher’s Insurance Scheme, you must be able to demonstrate that you have a sound knowledge of warm up, teaching techniques and safety awareness to be able to teach safely, and carry out first aid if it were needed.
Conditions of Insurance Cover
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you renew your membership with MADN-UK each May.
- You will need to have the following at your classes:
- Accurate records of class attendance
- A Standard First Aid Box
- A Current First Aid Manual
- An Accident Book (to record details of any accident or injury with the names and addresses of 2 witnesses where possible)
- You will be sent a copy of “Fitness to Dance” Questionnaire. This is for you to photocopy so that at your regular classes and any workshops each of your students can complete it before joining the class. The completed forms are to be kept by yourself.
- You will also be sent a copy of the most recent version of the “Events Safety Policy–MADN”. You are advised to read it carefully and, in all your classes and workshops, act as your own safety co-ordinator. It may prejudice any claim if an accident can be shown to have arisen because these recommendations were not adhered to.
The yearly premium, at present, costs £35. This runs from 1st November to 31st October. Those applying after 1 May are offered a special 6 month premium costing £20 which covers you until 31 October. Your cover starts from the date your cheque is received. To apply, please complete the application form and return to the insurance co-ordinator with a cheque(made payable to MADN-UK) for £35 / £20 as appropriate.
You can also pay by Paypal.
Download a copy of the application form
Please return your completed application form to the; Insurance Co-ordinator, 4 Cherwell Court, Hambleton, Selby, N.Yorks. YO8 9QH Email firstname.lastname@example.org